Art To Grow On at Park Western Place Elementary
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Classroom" management

Go down

"Classroom" management Empty "Classroom" management

Post by hodgkisb Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:41 pm

As much as the kids love ATGO, it's hard to keep the attention of 24-36 students! Here are some "tried and true" techniques:

Keep your "lecture" to a minimum!!! The first couple of times you teach a project, you will almost inevitably run out of time. If you manage to finish "early," you can always add "fun facts," clean up help or a "gallery walk" at the end.

In the Find out what the classroom teacher does to re-focus attention. As a parent, you know that talking louder, telling kids to be quiet, or repeating yourself don't work! Some common techniques that can work are:
-- "1-2-3, eyes on me!" (Students respond "1-2 eyes on you!)
-- "If you can hear me, clap once. If you can hear me, clap twice"
-- Raise your hand over your head and put a finger over your lips to signal silence

Split your class into smaller groups by table. (I simply number the tables verbally at the beginning of my class: "Hello, table 1!" "Table 2, glad to see you!" etc.) As you go through the project, recognize tables with good behavior. ("I see Table 3 is ready. Wow, Table 4 is showing great listening eyes and ears!" When you have a question, ask for answers by table. ("Who at Table 5 can tell me what the primary colors are?" Table 6, what style of art did we make today?") Finally, dismiss by table to avoid a big rush exiting the tent.

hodgkisb

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum